UNIVER5ITY OF PITTSBURGH

Dar. EX8O76 .E

IJarlington -M-emorial L/itrary

EvanOelical jjulhupan Chiiui, i]( ihe. llnly InniLy.- Luin easier

MEMORIAL VOLUME

Em.UiTIII,

LANC>*

x> I s

DltJVKT:

•COASiOW lN

CENTENARY JUBII

Rev.C.F.SC'HAEI'FEK.i}

i.MTTHLEJ^

ADD'"

,1" ; . .V

■.^-pirvT pvnTTv

TKOM A. I>. 1t«l— tWrt.

rAVC\STER. Pi PRINTED AND PUBLISHED BY JOHN BAER'S SONS.

1861.

MEMOEIAL YOLUME

mm. LUTHERM CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY,

LANCASTER, Pa.

IDISOOTJI^SES

DELIVERED ON THE OCCASION OP THE

CENTENARY JUBILEE,

Rev. C. F. SCHAEFFER, D.D. and Rev. Prof. F. A. MUHLENBERG, A.M,

ADDITIONAL HISTORICAL PARTICULARS,

FROM A. D, 1T61— 1861.

LANCASTER, Pa. : PRINTED AND PUBLISHED BY JOHN BAER'S SONS.

1861.

INTEODUCTION.

When the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity at Lancaster, Pa. was renovated and rededicated, A, D, 1853 1854, the pastor and many members of the con- gregation, as they looked upon the two sandstone tablets in the front of the church, bearing the date 17C1, the time of the Comer-stone laying of the venerable edifice, hoped that they might be spared to unite in the Centennial Celebration of thatjevent, in the year 1361. Some of those who expressed this wish, venerable fathers and mothers of the congregation, "died without the sight ;" but those who remained, determined, as the expected time drew near, to celebrate the interesting occasion, for the glory of God, and the edification of the Church.

At a vestry meeting, on the 4th of March, 1861, the pastor suggested the propriety of making arrangements for such a celebration, on the 18th of May, the anniversary of the laying of the corner-stone ; and Messrs, Horace Rathvon, Chas. A. Heinitsh, and Geo, D, Sprecher were appointed a Committee, to confer with the pastor, and make such ar- rangements. On the 18th of March they reported the following:

"1. As Saturday, the 18th of May next, the day of the anniversary, will occur during the sessions of the General Synod (which is to meet in Lancaster) it is proposed to invite that body to be present.

2, In order to afford all the members of the congregation an opportunity to be present, tliree discourses or addresses are proposed, viz : in the morning, a historical discourse by Rev. Prof Chas. F. Schaeffer, D. D. of Gettysburg ; in the afternoon, an address to the children of the Sunday Schools, and their parents and friends, by Rev. Chas. A. Baer, A. M, of Norristown ; and in the evening a festival discourse, by Rev. Prof« F, IMl'hlenberg, a. M, of Gettysburg,

3, Music, appropriate to the occasion, by the Choir, with such aid as can be had from the other choirs of the city, to be under the superintendence of the leader, Mr, W. E- Heinitsh, and the organist, Mr. A. Schmied.

4, The Church to be thoroughly cleansed, and appropriately decorated,"

This report was adopted, and the same committee charged with the execution of the plan. The pastor was requested to correspond with the brethren named above, and authorized to designate others, if they should decline the invitation of the vestry.

On the 28th of March he was happy to be able to report, that the three gentlemen first designated, had kindly consented to take the parts assigned to them.

Soon aflerwards, however, the storm that had so long threatened our beloved country, burst forth, and the bombardment of Fort Sumpter inaugurated the civil war which is still upon us, and roused every loyal heart in the nation, not only to a full realization of the dangers that threatened our very existence, but also to a solemn and unalterable de- termination, to crush the monster rebellion, and to restore the Union and the Constitution.

The whole nation was in a ferment, and communication between the North and South soon ceased. Under these circumstances, the pastors, emd a number of the members of the Lutheran Churches of Lancaster, as well as other places, requested Dr. C, W, Schaeffer, of Germantown, President of the General Synod of the Lutheran Church, indefinitely to postpone the meeting of that body; and soon aflerweirds a notice of such postponement was published by him in the church papers,

1

IV Introduction.

As the General Synod was, therefore, not to be present at the Centenary Jubilee, the vestry determined to celebrate the event on the following day, Whitsunday, May 19th, provided the gentlemen who had already promised their services, would consent to the change. They at once signified their willingness, and the 19th of May was published as the day of the celebration.

The pastor was also directed to prepare a programme of the order of exercises, containing the hymns that were to be sung, and 2000 copies of the same were ordered to be printed for distribution. The committee made all the necessary preparations ; ap- pointed sub-committees to take charge of the decorations ; and also covered the vestibule with new matting, and the floor of the choir with new carpet. Owing to the war excitement some thought, that the celebration would fail, and that it would scarcely be possible to awaken sufficient enthusiasm among the members to prepare the decorations, and enter into the celebration with truly festive feelings. But at a meeting of ladies, on the 9th of May, all manifested a warm desire to do all that was necessary, and, during the week preceding the great day of the feast, the school-house was thronged by the old and young, all joyously assisting in preparing the evergreens for the decorations. The members of the choir, and the friends that assisted them, met frequently, and the children of the Sunday school also met repeatedly, to sing the hymns that were to be used on the afternoon of the Jubilee,

At last the long-expected day arrived ; and, although some threatening clouds appeared in the morning, the sky soon became clear, and the day was all we could desire.

Long before the hour of service the church was crowded in every part. One who was present, thus described the interior of the church, (in the "Lutheran" of June 7, 1861,) "For several days previous to the celebration, the ladies were engaged in decora- ting the interior of the noble church edifice. Over the pulpit, which was chastely adorned with ivy, was a beautifully wrought arch of evergreens, from which was sus- pended the date, "1761," which struck the eye of the beholder for its neatness. The windows and galleries were tastefully festooned with evergreens, m which were wrought > the figure "100." The large organ was similarly decorated, whilst two beautiful Ameri- CEin flags suspended over it, displayed the patriotism of the decorators." The font was filled with flowers, and a beautiful pyramid of the same was erected upon the altar. The whole affair exhibited the admirable taste of those who had charge of these decorations.

The services were opened, at 10 o'clock, A. M. by an anthem, admirably sung by the choir ; and then the pastor conducted the altar service, according to the liturgy of the Synod of Pennsylvania. The general Prayer was offered by Rev. D, Steck, pastor of St. John's Lutheran Church, Lancaster. The first hymn was the following translation, by Miss Winkworth, of J. J. Schuetz's Hymn "Sei Lob und Ehr deni hoechsten Gut," which was sung, in German, just one hundred years before, on the same spot, at the lay- ing of the Corner-stone.

Tune Monmouth. All praise and thanks to God most High

The Father of all Love! The God who doeth wondrously,

Tlie God who from above My soul with richest solace fills, The God who every sorrow stills ; Give to our God the glory !

The host of heaven Thy praises tell.

All thrones bow down to Thee, And all who in thy shadow dwell,

In earth, and air and sea. Declare and laud their Maimer's might. Whose wisdom orders all things right; ' Give to our God the glory !

Introduction. t

The Lord is never far awa)',

Nor sundered from His flock ; He is their refuge and their stay,

Their peace, their trust, tlieir rock, And with a mother's watchful love He guides them wheresoe'er they rove,

Give to our God the glory !

All ye who name Christ's holy Name,

Give to our God the glory ! Ye who the Father's power proclaim.

Give to our God the glory ! All idols under foot be trod, The Lord is God ! the Lord is God !

Give to our God the glory !

After the hymn Rev, Prof. C. F, Schakffer, D. D. preached the sermon, published in this volumn, to a deeply interested audience. After the sermon, the congregation uni- ted in singing the following translation of Luther's grand hymn, "Ein' veste Burg ist

unser Gott," to the tune of the original.

[ Words and Tune hy Lutheb«]

A safe stronghold our God is still,

A trusty shield and weapon, He'll help us clear from all the ill. That hath us now o'ertaken. The old enemy Now wars earnestly ; Great craft and might Do arm him for the fight. On earth is not his fellow.

With our might we nothing can. We soon would sink appalled ; But for us fights the proper Man, Whom God himself hath called. And who may this be ? Christ Jesus, 'tis He, The Lord Sabaoth,. Our God and Saviour both ; None from the field can drive Him !

And were the world all devils o'er

And watching to devour us. We lay it not to heart so sore. They cannot overpow'r us. The Prince of all 111 Look grim as he will. Can harm not a whit. His dreadful doom is writ : One word of God can fell him.

His holy word they shall let stand,

No thanks to their forbearing ! God in this battle is at hand. For all his soldiers caring. If they take our life. Goods, fame, child and wife; We'll e'en let them go This will not save the foe; The kingdom must be ours !

All admitted that they had not heard such grand choral singing within the walls of old Trinity, for many years.

The Rev, W. Beates, Senior of the Ministerium of Pennsylvania, was also present. In the aflernoon the body of the church was reserved for the children of the Sunday-

VI Introduction.

Schools, From five to six hundred scholars, led by their teachers, marched in procession to the church, and soon afterwards all the available space on the main floor and the galle- ries was occupied by the members of the congregation.

The exercises were conducted according to the form published in the Catechism issued by the Synod of Pa. The children and congregation united in singing "All hail the power of Jesus' name," to the tune "Coronation." After repeating the Ten Com- mandments and Apostle's Creed, Rev. Dr. C. F, Schaeffer offered prayer, and then was sung the following, written for the occasion, to the tune "Otto."

Thou didst lay the earth's foundation

Thou, O God, its corner-stone ; And didst build man's habitation

At the footstool of Thy throne. Beautiful in its adorning

Rich in an exhaustless store ; Well might sing the stars of morning,

And the sons of God adore !

So in Sion wondrous story !

Thou a corner-stone didst lay, Which dotli manifest thy glory.

And shall never pass away ; Precious and elect upholding

All the building fitly framed, Temple of the Lord enfolding

All that after Christ are named.

On this only sure foundation,

Built our fathers in their day; And, rejoicing in salvation

Here a corner-stone did lay. Raised this temple, with Thy blessing.

And enjoyed Thy Means of Grace, Prayers of faith and love addressing

To Thy reconciled face.

They are gone but what they founded

Firm, enduring still we see ; They could never be confounded.

For they built their hopes on Thee. May we who their work inherit

Build like them, in faith alone, Trusting not in human merit,

But in Christ, the Corner-stone!

After this fame the sermon, by Rev, Chas. A. Baer, on Isa, XI : 6, The sermon was followed by prayer, and the following hymn, also written for the oc- casion, and sung to the tune "America."

Jesus whose holy name. Angels and men proclaim

Of Thee we sing ; Thou didst for sin atone. Thou art the corner-stone. Unto Thy name alone,

Praises we bring.

Thanks for this holy place. Where all the means of grace,

Thou dost bestow ; Thanks tliat from year to year Parents and cliildren here. Feeling Thy presence near

Learned Thee to know.

H

Introduction. vii

Here in our youthful days Lead us in wisdom's ways.

Grant us thy grace; Here on Thy Holy Day Help us to hear and pray, Until we pass away

To see Thy face.

Here may thy childrens' ears Through all succeeding years

Hear of Thy love ; Till earth shall be no more, And on the blissful shore, All shall the Lamb adore

Dwelling above.

DOXOLOGY.

To God— The Father, Son And Spirit Three in One

All praise be given ; Crown him in every song; To ^im your hearts belong ; Let all his praise prolong

On earth in heaven.

In the evening the church was again crowded with an attentive audience, Revds.

B. W, ScHMAUK, of the German Lutheran Zion's Church, Chas, A. Baer, and the pastor, officiated at the altar. The hymns sung during the evening were Nos, 99. 565, and 623, of the New- York Synod's collection. Rev« Prof, F, A, Muhlenberg, preached the ser- mon, published in this volume.

All retired to their homes, delighted with the services of this memorable day*

On the 21st of May, 1861, the Committee on the Centennial Celebration presented the following report to the vestry :

"The Committee charged with carrying out the suggestions in the report made to the vestry some time ago, relative to the Centermial Celebration of the Laying of the Corner- stone of this church, report } that they have attended to that duty, had the church cleans- ed, and with the assistance of Mrs. W. G. Baker, the Misses Margie Musser, Christie Gruel, Anna Ferry, Kate Mathiot, Mrs. Sophia Smith, Miss Melinda Peiper, and Messrs, G. Baker, Dr, John Huber, John B. Kevinski, W, G, Sehner, Geo, Mcllhenny, and John F, Sehner, as a Sub-Committee, decorated, as they deemed, appropriately.

The gentlemen who were selected to deliver the discourses on that occasion, viz : Dr.

C. F, ScHAEFFER, and Prof F, A. Muhlenberg, of Gettysburg, and Rev. C. A, Baer, of Norristown, were present, and delivered their addresses, according to arrangement.

Our Choir was ably assisted by several members from the Choirs of sister churches and also by Miss Jones, from Philadelphia.

The Committee cannot suffer the occasion to pass, without congratulating the vestry, on the happy day spent, particularly at this time, when the members of the congregation, in common with the whole community, are filled with anxiety, in reference to the trou- bles in our country. It was replete with enjoyment, to the older, as well as the younger portion of the congregation.

In conclusion, your Committee recommend, that the thanks of the congregation be tendered, through the Secretary, to the officiating clergymen. Miss Jones, the assisting members of other choirs, and our choir; to the Union and American Fire Companies, for the loan of their beautiful United States flags, and to all who kindly volunteered their

services on the occasion," HORACE RATHVON,

CHAS A. HEINITSH, GEO. D. SPRECHER.

VIII iNTRODUCTIOIf.

The same Committee was re-appointed, to solicit copies of their discourses, for publi- cation, from the officiating clergymen. It was also resolved, that the Messrs, Baer be authorized to publish three hundred copies of the discourses, together with an introduc . tion describing the Centenary Jubilee, and additional historical particulars of the last Century, the whole to be issued in a neat and durable book. It was also resolved "that Messrs, J. C. Hager, W, G. Baker, and Dr. J, F, Huber, be a committee to procure a lithographic or photographic view of the exterior of the church, as it now is, to be in- sorted as a frontispiece, in the book just ordered to be published,"

The Rev. brethren, who preached at the celebration, kindly yielded to the request of the vestry, to furnish their discourses for publication, but, subsequently the Rev, Chas. A. Baer requested to be excused, inasmuch as the lapse of time and numerous engage- ments rendered it impossible for him to furnish a copy of the discourse, as part of it had been delivered without notes. The vestry regret that they are unable to furnish this discourse, in this memorial volume ; but are happy to present to the congregation, the morning and evening discourses.

Through a slight misunderstanding the lithograph, forming the frontespiece of this volume, was made larger than was intended and desired, and in this way the form and size of the present volume were necessarily changed. The pastor, charged with the pre- paration of additional historical particulars, originally contemplated little more than a chronological table, like that prepared by Dr, C. R. Demme, and published, as an appen- dix, in the account of the Centenary Jubilee of St, Michael's church, Philadelphia. But, inasmuch as the form and size of the pages, were changed, and one discourse less than we expected, was furnished, and the desire was expressed, not only that the volume should be somewhat larger, but also that the period between 1761 und 1861 should be mare fully set forth, the writer's "additional historical particulars" were greatly extended, and their preparation unavoidably delayed the publication of this volume much longer than he expected or desired. In the preparation of his part of this "Memorial," he has freely used Prof M. L, Stoever's "Reminiscences of Lutheran Ministers," published in the Evangelical Review, the Halle Reports, the records belonging to Trinity Church, the private Journal of Dr, H, E. Muhlenberg, kindly furnished by Prof F. A. Muhlenberg, and various other sources. He has taken up the history, where Prof C. F, Schaeffer paused, and has carried it down to the close of 1861, which has, unexpectedly, also be- come the last of his pastorate at Lancaster,

It is not necessary for him to speak of the two discourses presented in this volume } they will speak for themselves. The history of an Evan. Lutheran Church, during a period of 130 years, is thus placed in the hands of our members, with the fervent prayer, that it may deepen and strengthen their attachment to the church of their fathers, its preci- ous doctrines, and scriptural usages; and that they and their children's children may walk in the old paths, and ever "grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To Him be glory, both now and for ever. Amen."

SERMON

Rev. Prof. CHARLES F. SCHAEFFER, D. D.

"J. glorious high throne from the beginning is the place of our sanctuary." Jerem. 17 : 12.

The wise and benevolent manner in which the Creator has adapted the natural Avorld to the physical and moral nature of man, has, in every age, afforded instruction and comfort to the devout be- liever. The peculiar organization of inanimate nature, and the various forces with which it is endowed, precisely fit it to supply the immediate wants of man. The light of heaven in which he walks or labors, benignly employs, but does not overAvhelm, his powers of vision ; the sounds in nature, from the rustling of the leaf or the singing of the bird, to the loud echo of the water-fall or the still louder rolling of the thunder, may amuse or soothe or impress us, but cannot harm the delicate structure of the ear. While nature, however, makes large concessions to human wants or Aveaknesses, it invites man to adapt himself, in his turn, to the unal- terable laws by which the Creator has been pleased to control its operations. "While the earth remaineth," said the Lord, as the sweet savour of Noah's sacrifice ascended to heaven, "seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease." (Gen. 8 : 22.)

To these regularly recurring seasons, our habits, our modes of thought and feeling, and our whole course of action have instinct- ively conformed themselves. By very gentle but, at the same time, irresistible processes, nature is continually educating our bodies and our souls. She insists that the labors of the day should terminate at the approach of night ; she vigorously sustains our love of action in the spring, demands our labor in the summer, and rewards the in- dustrious with her autumnal gifts; but then she pauses, and in-

1*

2 Centenary Jubilee.

exorablj arrests the steps of man even with icy fetters. She ad- monishes him to reflect on tlie rapid flight of time, and to medi- tate on the solemn truth that another year has been taken from his short life, and that the eternal Avorld his future home is not far distant.

If God has been pleased, by means of striking changes in na- ture, to give peculiar significance to that period of time which we call a year^ and has trained us to count by years, he has, moreover, enforced that lesson by the voice of revelation. When he estab- lished a covenant with the people of Israel, which was designed to herald the advent of the Saviour of the world, one of its distin- guishing features, which re-appears in the sacrifices, in the reli- gious assemblies and in many a special ordinance, consists in the appointment of religious anniversaries. At a later period, natural and religious influ?nces led the Church also to express her con- sciousness of such a law of our position on earth, by the appointment of the festival days on which we gratefully commemorate the lead- ing facts in the history of our divine Redeemer. This tendency of our nature, repressed and discouraged at times by one-sided fears of abuse, can never be entirely subdued ; there are indica- tions, which acquire increasing distinctness, that at not a remote period, Washington's Birth-day, and the Fourth of July will not constitute the only annual holidays of the whole nation, but be associated with others already sanctioned by the Church.

Amonor the institutions of Moses we find another reference to anniversaries, which not only embodies all the principles already mentioned, but is, besides, of so deep an import, peculiarly its own, that neither the jurist nor the theologian has yet developed its whole meaning we refer to the semi-centennial season called tlie year of Jubilee, (Lev. 25 : 10). Unquestionably the law which commanded the Jews to hallow the fiftieth year, possessed a civil and political significance, as it widely influenced the tenure of property and the 'personal condition of numbers of individuals. But its religious character is also striking. The rare occurrence of the season allowed a generation of men to be born and to pass away, without sharing in its direct blessings ; nevertheless, they knew that it would surely arrive and gladden the hearts of their children for it was the year of grace, the year of liberty to the oppressed debtor, to him who sighed in bondage, to every burdened soul. Did it not also proclaim to the devout and intelligent Jew, the grave and yet cheering truth that so, too, " the acceptable year of the Lord, "

Cfntenary Jubilee. 3

(Isai. 61 : 21), the day in which "the Lord should suddenly come to his temple," (Mai. 31 : 1.) might linger long, and yet would sure- ly come, and bring to a longing people all the grace and glory of the promised Messiah ? What solemn reflections such a semi-cen- tennial season awakened in the heart ! How afFectingly it taught the believer of old to survey the past with humility and gratitude, and to glance at the future with trusting faith and holy love !

When such seasons occur, after these long intervals, they produce deep solemnity of feeling ; while they glorify that God, who, un- affected by the lapse of years, lives forever, they teach an in- structive lesson respecting man's brief life on earth and rapid de- cay. Now, the present season and the very spot on which Ave are standing, unite in addressing such a solemn appeal to us. Twice has the period of the Jewish Jubilee passed by, since, pre- cisely one hundred years ago, a devout assembly occupied this spot. The Scriptures were read and applied, hymns of praise were sung, fervent prayers were offered an event of deep interest occurred the Corner-stone of this building was laid ! But of that vast assembly of faithful pastors, zealous church-officers and joyful church-members, not one is here to-day ! While that corner-stone has since reposed undisturbed in its bed, they have all disappeared we, another generation, meet here to-day, to pay a willing tribute of honor to their memory, and to acknowledge with grateful hearts, the abundant goodness of the eternal God.

It is in strict accordance with the most elevated principles of our nature, and an expression, in the divine presence, of devout feeling, when a centennial celebration like the present is arranged. It affords us a new opportunity for strengthening our faith by the actual observation of the fidelity with which the Head of the Church fulfils his gracious promises ; and, further, the clear view which it also presents of our own insufficiency and many infirmities, constrains us to say devoutly: "Not unto us, 0 Lord, not unto us^ but unto thy name give glory, for thy mercy, and for thy truth's sake." (Ps. 115: 1.)

In such a spirit the prophet uttered the words which we have al- ready repeated : A glorious, ^r." He renounces all dependence on human wisdom, holiness or strength ; he declares that God alone is his hope, and that the worship of God in his sanctuary, is the only comfort of his soul. The city of Jerusalem may fall, the temple pass away but He that dwelt in the sanctuary would ever abide, as the constant friend and almighty protector of the faithful wor-

4 Centenary Jubilee.

shipper. And tlie whole history of this congregation, founded as it was on the imperishable truth of God, attests that this sanc- tuary also, in a peculiar sense, has been "a glorious high throne from the beginning." To-day we declare in the presence of God, that we .behold with our eyes the evidence of the precious truth that God is a faithful God, dwelling in the midst of his people. From very feeble beginnings this church arose its infancy was cradled in storms its faith was sometimes sorely tried ; but in poverty, in loneliness, in sorrow and temptation, its early members remained steadfast in their faith. To this place of their sanctuary, where God from his throne of grace and glory, communicated light, hope and peace to their souls, they continued to cling with unconquer- able tenacity. A current of holy faith and love seems to have unin- terruptedly flowed through this place ; and if any one of that multi- tude which was assembled here one hundred years ago, were now called up from his grave, he would first gaze at this temple, still standing in its beauty, but with expanded proportions and accumu- lating tokens of prosperity at this worshipping assembly at all the evidences of the peace, the faith and the love of the present flock and pastor, and, in wonder and holy gratitude, he would ex- claim: "What hath God wrought!" (Numb. 23: 23.)

It has been deemed desirable, and is fitting, that a brief review of the history of this congregation should be presented on this occasion ; it is this task which we shall now, as far as our limited time may allow, attempt to perform. It had been our original pur- pose to furnish a sketch of the whole 130 years the period of the existence of this congregation. But the events of those years are so numerous and so important, that it is impossible to do justice to the subject or even give a mere chronological history in the space of an hour. We propose, therefore, to divide the whole into two parts. We shall attempt to trace the history of the congregation from its origin only to the era of the consecration of this church, and to show how it came that the Corner-stone was laid a century ago. If the Consecration of the church should lead to a centennial celebration five years hence. May 4, 1866, a suitable occasion will occur for any other speaker to resume the subject where we re- luctantly pause, and to present the history of the century which succeeded the event commemorated to-day. Even if we confine ourselves to the period intervening between the origin of the con- gregation and the erection of this church, we must still beg for in- dulgence, in case our steady gaze at the flowing of the years should

Centenary Jubilee. 5

lead us to forget the passage of the moments allowed to us on this occasion. *

Towards the close of the 17th century, or after the year 1680, the British colonies offered many political and other advantages to the adventurous who were disposed to visit this continent. The invitations of William Penn were accepted by many hundreds of German families, who found new homes in Pennsylvania before and after the year 1700. f Their spiritual wants were imperfectly sup- plied, and our first accounts of their religious condition, meagre as they are, describe the latter as deplorable. The efforts of a few zealous Lutherans who resided in Philadelphia, to procure a pastor, Avere only partially successful. The Rev. John Christian Schultze, who is to be carefully distinguished from Frederick and from Christopher E. Schultze of a later period, claimed to be a German student who had been ordained before he left his native country. | He appears to have been the first religious teacher of the Lutherans in Lancaster. The Register of Baptisms begins with the year 1730, and we shall probably not commit an error, if we assign the first entries to his hand. But he returned to Europe as the agent of the Lutherans in the eastern part of the State, and was commissioned

*The writer is indebted for the facts presented in this discourse principally to three sources : First, copious extracts from the earliest Church Records of the congrega- tion, with wiiich he was most courteously supplied by the present pastor, Rev. G. F. Krdtel, who expended much time and labor in making them ; secondly, the well-known Hulle Reports (Hallisi he Nachrichten), the whole of which the writer searched for materials; thirdly, several of the biographical sketches of deceased Lutheran clergy. men, which Prof. Stoever has in regular succession published in the "Evang Review," and which have so highly gratified the readers of that periodical. The Lancaster con- gregation and its pastors are also occasionally mentioned in Dr. Hazelius's History of the Church, and in Dr. C. W. Schaeffer's ^"Early History of the Lutheran Church in America " No names, dates or facts have been admitted without satisfactory evi- dence from such sources of their accuracy. The materials selected by the writer have already overflowed the proper limits, and large masses of interesting relevant matter were necessarily omitted,

t The first arrivals of Lutherans from Germany, Sweden and Holland, in Georgia, New-York, &c., were much earlier. The Rev. Anthony W. Boeh.me, the German Lutheran chaplain of the court of St. James during the reign of Queen Anne, furnished some of the colonists with German books, consisting of Sermons, Arndt's "True Christianity," Francke's devotional works, hymn buoks, &,c. Halle Rf^p. pp. 3, 4, 665, 793. Mr. BoEHME had previously held an ofl3ce in the Orphan House at Halle, from which he was transferred to London, vvheie Prince George of Denmark assigned to him his honorable post at the court. His influence witli Queen Anne induced her to exhibit in 1709 her royal munificence, like other distinguished persons, to Francke's Orphan House. See Franken's Stift^ L 303. II, 8. III. 31G.

I Halle Rep. 7, 669.

6 Centenary Jubilee.

to obtain pecuniary aid and to invite clergymen to visit America. He never resumed his labors in this country.

Large accessions were made at this period, between 1T20 and 1740, to the German Lutheran population of Philadelphia and its vicinity ; * the rich soil and natural advantages of this region at- tracted many of them. Very few clergymen, however, at that early period, when the need of missionary labors in America had not been yet distinctly presented to the German mind and heart, were found among them. Those who did come forward, and who were faithful men, must have been directed by an impulse proceeding from their own hearts alone. One of these was the Rev. John Caspar Stoever. He had, like the Rev. Messrs. Hinckel and Falckner, crossed the ocean about the year 1725, in the capacity of a chaplain of a com- pany of emigrants f who earnestly desired that their own holy faith should descend to their children. We find him in Lancaster in 1733, engaged in the work of preaching for a congregation which was organized and enjoyed regular services. On the 18th Sunday after Trinity in that year-, he administered the Lord's Supper to as many as 149 communicants, and he records the names of other com- municants on other occasions also. During the next two years, the public worship was maintained with comparative frequency, as the records of the Sunday collections show. Mr. Stoever's services, which had probably been those of a missionary, were then tempo- rarily interrupted. On Nov. 7, 1736, however, he received a call, signed by the church-members in Lancaster, and thus appears to have been the first regular pastor. He and several members, in- cluding John Martin Weibrecht, furnished the congregation with a full set of communion furniture at their own expense. The spirit of the pastor and people is attested by the fact that they now erected their first church, which was solemnly consecrated by the pastor, Mr. Stoever, Oct. 28, 1738, on which occasion he again ad- ministered the Lord's Supper. The altar, which several liberal members had supplied, was of stone, surrounded by a walnut rail- inf'. The steeple of the church was furnished with bells. The or- gan, which was completed before 1744, was constructed by a skilful artist named George Kraft. That edifice stood on the

For instnnr-o, a few years ):itfr, in tho fall of 1749, twenty-five vessels broiifrlit 7011) GiM-inaiis to Piiiliidclpliia, and in the following autumn not less than 1-J,00U arrived. ♦Early History, &,e." pp. 9G, 131.

til. N.p. 6G7.

Centenary Jubilee. 7

spot now partly occupied by the grave-yard, between this building and the present parsonage.

The men of that generation, which, in this respect, seems to have become nearly extinct, preferred long sermons ; Mr M. Barth fur- nished the pulpit of the new church with an hour-glass, or, to speak more strictly, a sand-clock, which measured one hour and thirty minutes. Mr. Stoever's successors appear, unlike so ijiany of our own number, to have delivered sermons which were entirely too short, that is, not capable of being measured by the hour ; it became necessary for Jacob Lochmann, five years after the consecration of the church, in 1743, to attach to the pulpit an iron rod which sus- tained the sand-clock in full view of the preacher and the hearers, thus securing to the latter sermons of a reasonable length in their opinion one hour and a half.

Mr. Stoever continued to be the pastor during 1739, and for some months afterwards ; the services were regularly continued. At this period he proceeded to a distant German settlement in Virginia, where he labored for many years as a faithful and successful minis- ter of the gospel. *

After his departure the vacant congregation was exposed to se- vere trials. Several individuals reached Pennsylvania who claimed to be Lutheran clergymen, but who were in reality mere adventu- rers, or ministers who had been deposed in their own country. Of these the Church-Books complain in indignant terms. A German minister, named Valentine Kraft, f from the Palatinate, created con- siderable confusion in Philadelphia before Dr. Muhlenberg's arri- val, as well as in Germantown and in other places. When his claims to consideration and confidence were ascertained to be un- founded, he proceeded to the interior of the State, and in 1743, he

* The great distance of his field of labor in the county of Spotsylvania, and a visit to Europe for the purpose of obtaining aid for the feeble church in Virginia, may have been the causes of his absence for a number of years from the meetings of the Synod which had been organized in 1748. At a later period he returned toPennsylvunia, and in 1763, presented himself to the assembled Swedish and German brethren composing the Synod. The fidelity of his lab.;rs during the long interval was joyfully recognized by them ; the President and all the clerical and lay-members of the Synod cordially ex- tended to iiim the right hand of fellowship, and he was unanimously received as a regu- lar member of their body, (H. Rep. 1 I27j. Three years afterwards, he attended the Synod at the time of the consecration of the Lancaster church; in the narrative of that event, Dr. Muhlenberg introduces iiim as the pastor of tlie Lebanon congregation. He is now represented in Pennsylvania College, Geltysbnrg, by his great-grandson, Professor Stiever, who is mentioned in a former note.

t H. Rep. 106, 170—174, 670, 12VJ.

8 Centenary Jubilee.

made an effort to secure a position in Lancaster. His official con- nection with this congregation, even if only of a temporary charac- ter, is attested by occasional entries made by him in the Church- Books. He still preached here in 1T48, but his adherents were few and remiss, and after that date he disappears from history. A Swedish minister, Rev. John Dylander, occasionally served the con- gregation in 1743 and 1744, and was acceptable.

It was at this era that the Rev. Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, the first of that name, was sent to this country by the Head of the Church.* Although he never felt at liberty to assume the pastoral charge of this congregation, as his great work employed him else- where, his deep personal interest in the Lancaster flock, and the vast services which he rendered to it, justify a brief allusion to him. His history, indeed, is so completely identified with many of the old congregations of our church in this country, that on any occasion like the present, he would necessarily occupy a prominent position. Most benignly has that interest which attaches to his name, opera- ted on the heart of the Church, since the Halle Reports^ which contain full and authentic records of his labors, have been made generally accessible. His name always had been revered as that of a faithful laborer in the work of the Lord, and of the founder of a family which ever afterwards rendered distinguished servi- ces to the Church, f But some of the noblest features of his character, among which wa3 his deep, earnest, abiding devotion to tliose doctrines and those usages which are distinctively Lutheran, were suffered for a season to recede partially from the public view. It is now more generally known that Providence visibly directed liis steps hither for great and holy purposes, that the highest Lu- theran authorities in Europe officially appointed him, that he was a chosen instrument of Luther's God, and that to the day of his death lie regarded himself not as the founder of anew church-organization, 1)ut as a servant of Christ, commissioned to extend the borders of the Lutheran Church of the Reformation, and to proclaim its life- giving doctrines in a new territory. He encountered vast difficul- ties occasioned by the poverty of the people, the enmity of false brethren and the operations of numerous sects. % Tlicse contests seemed to develope the singularly strong character of this faithful

« See "Memoirs, &,c. of H, M. Muiilenbkhg, D. D." by Prof. Stoever, printed for the I.iitli. Hoard of Piibl., Phil. 185G.

t Rev, Prof. F. A. Muiii.evbeiig of Pennsylvania College, is his great-grandson XEarly History, Sfc. p. 98. Halle Rep. p. 14, 17, 224, 348, 1199.

Centenary Jubilee. 9

man. When he consecrated the new church in Philarlejphia in Au- gust 1748, he and the Church Council publicly pledged themselves before God, as he himself relates,* that while God spared them and their church, no other doctrines should be preached in it save those of "the unaltered Augsburg Confession and all the other Symboli- cal Books."t This clause he inserted in many church constitutions which he afterwards wrote, and which are extant. And when, on the afternoon of the same day, he and other German and Swedish pastors ordained Mr. Kurtz, the first of that name, this excellent man was previously required to give a similar pledge that he would faithfully adhere to the pure doctrines of these confessional writings of the Ev. Lutheran church. | In the days of these master-work- men, who were confessedly not less intelligent and conscientious than the men of any succeeding generation, the modern conveniences of a qualified or conditional acceptance of the Augsburg Confession, with a virtual rejection of the other Symbolical Books, and of the declaration that the doctrines of this Confession were "substantially correct," had not occurred, and could not easily occur, to a sound Lutheran mind.

There are men of a certain class, like Luther, Gustavus Adol- phus or Washington, whose characters appear in such massive pro- portions, whose integrity, consistency and true nobility assume a position so august and commanding, that the spectator who surveys them at a distance, becomes conscious of a peculiar feeling of security and of positive enjoyment. The beautiful harmony in the features of such a character softens the inflexibility and even the severity,

* H. Rep. 285.

t The phrase "unaltered Augsb. Conf." which frequently occurs in historical and theological writings, does not refer to any modera alterations or mutilations of that Creed made by unauthorized persons in this country. This Confession had been offi- cially recognized by the Church in 1530 ; ten years afterwards a change was made in the tenth article by some persons without the sanction of the Church, and this phrase was then introduced for the purpose of disowning that change and any other. The Lutheran Church recognizes no other text of it except the original and complete text of 1530, con- sisting of 28 articles, and appended to the German and English editions of Luther's Small Catechism, published by the Synod of Pennsylvania in 1855. The "Symbolical Books" which Dr. Muhlenberg repeatedly mentions as constituting in his day, and, of course, in our own, the Creed of the Ev. Lutheran Church ot Europe ami .America, are, in addition to the Augsburg Confession, the following: The Apology (Vindication) of the